Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Lucid Dreaming


I remember dreams pretty regularly, and most of of my dreams are generally realistic settings & situations. There have been several times, though, where I have experienced a very convincing ability to fly. I still remember the dream where I first did it very clearly... even though it was years ago.

I was at my parent's house and there was extended family there. An uncle of mine who was a Jeopardy! champ in real life instructed me on how to rise and control myself in the air. I remember feeling like I was learning to ride a bicycle again. Finally, I began to hover and circle the main rooms of the house before going outside and circling the entire house. It was exciting, but not scary - just like taking off for the first time on 2 wheels. I met the treeline and flew high enough to see the immediate area.

There have been times since where I've dreamed of reaching the upper atmosphere and having clouds below me. The realism of the experience is mind-blowing, but familiar at the same time. The times I remember flying in my dreams, I have always been aware of the dream state and understood it to be what the waking experience is also - a production of the mind.

Damn Interesting.com: 'Silent Lucidity'
Damn Interesting article with links

No comments: