Monday, September 17, 2012

Microsoft's New Logo - Blah.

The first 'real' PC my family bought in the early 1990's was a crappy machine running Windows 3.0 with DOS.

Ever since those days of primitive computing, my disdain for Microsoft products has only increased.

Thankfully, in college I began using Apple computers for my design classes. Now, I use Macs for work & home, and I also recently bought an iPhone. My digital experience is now wonderfully seamless & hassle-free, in a way that was unimaginable 10-20 years ago.

Although I avoid using Windows computers like the plague, I wanted to comment on the new Microsoft logo that was recently unveiled.


Don't worry, I'm not going to waste too much cyberspace saying alot about it.

Basically, the new branding is predictably lame, uninspired, boringly corporate, & just 'blah'... like the company itself:


Yeah I understand how it relates to "the company's shift of focus from the classic style to the tile-centric modern interface."  It's still bland & completely lacks any soul.

The latest iteration above, though it's modern-looking, sucks the little sense of whimsy or originality out of Microsoft's corporate identity:

Although I appreciate simplicity in design, "simplicity" & "design" are things that Microsoft has never done well.

The original Microsoft logo, below, might be the craziest... & therefore the coolest-
 

No comments: