Saturday, February 16, 2013

Read It & Sleep

"A good laugh and a long sleep
 are the best cures in the doctor's book." 
~Irish Proverb

My life is is constant struggle between trying to pack the maximum amount of productivity & experience in my day, while also getting enough sleep to keep me feeling sane.

I've posted about sleep here frequently, which is reasonable, considering we spend half our life in the unconscious state.

Mental rest from the normal agitated states of consciousness we experience is vital. Whether it's through healthy sleep patterns or the calming effects of meditation, it's important to give the brain a rest from the constant stream of information & chatter that sets people's minds on edge.

Huffington Post:

Fortunately, the article below made me feel better about my preferential sleep cycle.

It says... 

"...those whose sleep patterns are shifted later demonstrate "eveningness." 
Researchers say eveningness tends to be a characteristic of those with higher IQs."

Winnipeg Free Press:

When I was in high school, my Mom had to tap on the wall downstairs w/ a baseball bat to get me up in the morning. I've never been a morning person, preferring instead to stay up till at least midnight & sleep in.

As much I love to sleep late & take naps, I do feel like I miss out on Life when I'm sleeping through it. We have so little time here in this world & we are limited in our experience by the daily requirement of sleep... those little slices of death.


The Wall St. Journal had this article with a helpful infographic, about finding the sleep position that is the most comfortable for your body & situation. I usually fall asleep laying on my left side. Thankfully, when I'm tired, I can usually fall asleep anywhere I decide to lay down! I have no trouble with insomnia whatsoever.
 
Wall Street Journal:



This chart, showing the "Stages of Sleep," seems pretty ideal:

:


No comments: