Monday, June 04, 2012

Bilderberg Conference Protests 2012

This past weekend, friends asked me to join them in protests taking place around the hotel that was hosting the 2012 Bilderberg Conference, in Chantilly, Virginia.

The Bilderberg Meetings are private, off the record forums attended by the members of the political, media, and corporate elite from around the globe. Critics of this secretive gathering claim that all kinds of nefarious conspiracies are being hatched from this event.

Official Site:

 I decided to spend part of my weekend to go, in order to indulge my interests in politics, conspiracies (actual & theoretical), global affairs, &, most of all, people watching.

So, I drove down I-95 into Virginia where the meeting was held this year. When we got to the protest, I donned my high-tech Monkey Buddha protest disguise, specially designed to thwart advanced facial-recognition technologies being used by security. Ok, actually... it was a baseball cap & sunglasses to keep my face from getting burnt by the afternoon sun.


The only other political rally I've ever been to was "The Rally to Restore Sanity" in Washington DC. That is when a massive crowd of 250,000 people gathered on the capitol mall at the behest of Jon Stewart & Stephen Colbert. It's the most people I've ever seen in one place. As you can see from the photos, that event was pure insanity. It was meant to help express a general frustration with the political state of the country.

This protest was a very targeted one, however, and there were maybe 1,000 protesters at the most. It was a very lively crowd, though. There were people from many different walks of life: students, activists, vets, families, working people of all kinds, retired folks, all trying to bring some accountability to the knuckleheads running the world. There were a few people who were acting a little crazy, but overall it was pretty peaceful.

A couple guys working the megaphones were from We Are Change, who made a bunch of videos confronting high-profile Bilderberg members. There were also people there from groups like The Oathkeepers, who are former military & police officers that are committed to preventing abuses of the 2nd amendment by those making & enforcing the law.

The protesters were specifically trying to bring attention to the fact that all these high-level people from around the world are gathering in secret to discuss global policy matters. Despite the main concern of the protest being the secretive nature of the Bilderberg Meetings, the people there were discussing a wide variety of issues that should be getting more coverage from the corporate media.

The Pied Piper of this particular movement is definitely Alex Jones, the host of the internet radio show Infowars. Although I don't listen to the show, I've been aware of him for awhile. Although he often dwells on conspiracy theories, of varying degrees of believability, he does seem to be trying to expose the tendency of those in power to create actual conspiracies.

The Guardian:

Alex is a very forceful & charismatic personality. He was being constantly followed by a crowd & made several rants over the megaphone toward the "elitist scum" inside the hotel. I can see how the cult of personality has grown around him, but it would be a mistake to rely on him for all your information. He'll drag you down the NWO 'rabbit hole' until you go nuts. Personally, I always try to assimilate a diversity of viewpoints, from both mainstream & alternative news sources. Though watching Fox News pundits usually makes me feel nauseous, I try to take even them in once in awhile, just to see drastically different viewpoints from my own.

Here is a pic of me & my friend Loretta with Alex Jones wearing a sombrero, probably one of the greatest photos I've ever been in:


It was a very interesting experience, but I don't think it did much to stop whatever global political agendas are being implemented. That doesn't mean we can't get out there & practice our right to free speech, in protest of the greedy, short-sighted a-holes who are ruining the world.

Here are some photos of the protest outside the grounds of the hotel, (which I may or may not be in):


Photo Album:




No comments: