Saturday, April 04, 2015

Hanuman Jayanti


Here in America, Christian & Jewish people are celebrating Easter or Passover, respectively. I consider myself to be a person of world interests, so I like to learn about the traditions of different cultures.

It turns out that today Hindus celebrates the festival "Hanuman Jayanti". It is the birthday of the popular god of the Hindu pantheon, the monkey-faced Hanuman.

I have posted about Hanuman before, and I actually used him as the avatar for this blog when I first started it, since he looks kind of like a "monkey buddha".

Monkey Buddha Archives:

A couple days ago, my girlfriend said the instructor of her yoga class told her about the festival for Hanuman. That's how this celebration came to my attention. She also played this instrumental of the Hanuman Chalisa, a devotional hymn.





No comments: