Friday, March 27, 2009

Packaging Garbage

I truly enjoy graphic design & have designed alot of packaging for a variety of products. Sometimes, though, I can't help but think about what crap people try to sell where a designer must create packaging to make it appear to be a valued item.

On the other hand, some products don't even have the benefit of decent packaging. Looking at items in stores like a dollar store really cracks me up. Bad design is an exalted form of comedy to me.

TheDieline.com is one of the design websites I visit daily, and there was a link to an NPR article that takes the notion of "selling garbage" to a literal level. It just shows that the idea of 'value-' like the idea of 'art'- is a totally subjective experience. This is a case where the 'story' is what creates the value, not the physical product.

No comments: