Monday, October 29, 2012

Lotus Meditation - Visual Inspiration for the Spirit

In addition to The Monkey Buddha Visual Archive, I've now started a YouTube page: Monkey Buddha Vids.

This is my first upload- an animation I made in 2005, using Vue 3D software, with the purpose of uplifting the spirit.


I wanted to create a simple, yet illuminating vision of certain metaphysical & spiritual insights:

• The lotus flower, rising toward the sun from the muck beneath the water, traditionally symbolizes the soul's journey toward enlightenment.

• Gnostics were a tradition with the idea that the physical world is a sort of prison of the spirit or light body.

• Using inward examination & an attitude of awakened consciousness, one can recognize the impermanence & fundamental immateriality of the world we experience.

• Through meditative practice, one can also cultivate an expanded awareness & calmness amidst the chaos of life.

• We are part of a reality with relatively infinite expanse, intricacy, & possibility.

When I was in my early 20's I had a near death experience, where my normal consciousness fell away. Instead of the black of sleep, though, I experienced what I can only compare to the idea of 'Clear Light' consciousness, from certain Buddhist teachings. The experience was just all-encompassing white light. It wasn't Heaven, in the sense of a place with spirits. There was no objective forms or ideas at all. Nothing, but a space of white light. It completely changed my perception of reality and the mind.

What does the mantra "Om Mani Padme Hung" mean?
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_does_Om_Mani_Padme_Hung_mean

Explanation by the Dalai Lama:
http://www.sacred-texts.com/bud/tib/omph.htm

No comments: