Saturday, March 18, 2017

"Da Vinci's Challenge" Game - IWC Schaffhausen Edition


"Da Vinci's Challenge" is a strategy game that I created as a senior graphic design student in 2001. It was published in 2005 and earned the highest awards in the toy industry and overwhelmingly positive reviews from customers on Amazon. The game board is the pattern of interlocking circles, known as "The Flower of Life". I developed the game with the concepts of the field of study known as sacred geometry in mind.

A new edition of "Da Vinci's Challenge" was recently produced by Swiss watchmaker IWC Schaffhausen. It was used as a promotional item for their line of "Da Vinci" luxury watches.

One of the reps from the company came across the official Facebook page for "Da Vinci's Challenge", and reached out to me about licensing the game from me.

Facebook:

The game has been out of print since the publisher was bought out several years ago. I have not had much luck finding a new publisher to produce a retail version of the game, so I was excited to have this opportunity for the creation of a new edition. IWC made a very high-quality item, and I was extremely pleased with the results.

The game comes in an embossed box, wrapped in a ribbon and a metal IWC medallion. The game board is dark stitched leather, with a felt bottom. "The Flower of Life" pattern, the sacred geometry symbol that forms the playing surface, is raised in the leather so the pieces don't slide around. The oval & triangle game pieces are beautiful marbleized acrylic, and come in velvet drawstring pouches. The game rules have an embossed metallic ink logo, and I was directly involved with the design of the print materials.

I created an album of photos I took of one of the sample games I received. I'll post some of the photos here, but you can click the link to see more:

Photo Album:






 

"Da Vinci's Challenge" Game design & rules © Paul M. Micarelli

No comments: