Wednesday, October 28, 2020

In the Lair of the Widow

"In the Lair of the Widow"

Just in time for Halloween, I took some closeup photos & video of a Northern Black Widow that was hiding in an empty trash can. The picture above is one of my favorites I've ever taken, it's like something out of a horror movie.

Nature Photography
by Paul Micarelli

I was surprised at first, but of course I had to reach into its web to get some footage. 

 

She was desperately trying to save her egg sac, & now that I'm a parent I guess I empathized! So, I gently placed her in the woods away from our house with her eggs close by. When I told people I saved it & the potential brood, they thought I was crazy, but the spider is harmless as long as you don't threaten it. I'm not one to kill bugs anyway. They are life forms trying to survive as we are.

No comments: