Wednesday, June 15, 2011

'2001: A Space Odyssey' Poster Design

I saw this awesome poster by artist Eren Blanquet Unten & had to post it.

It's for one of my favorite movies, 2001: A Space Odyssey.



The circle is used briliantly to define Earth, HAL's electronic eye, and the space station- which are divided by rectangular areas reminiscent of The Monolith in the movie.

Having HAL's bright eye in the middle is the obvious way to go, since it makes an effective bullseye. However, it's placement also suggests the fact that technology & computers are a bridge, between this small terrestrial island and the infinite cosmos around us.

I consider a design like this successful if it engages me for more than a glance, & makes me think about things a little more in depth. Even though this poster is relatively simple, there is alot of food for thought within it.

No comments: