Thursday, March 12, 2020

Graphic Design Events in the Last 25 Years


 In my last post, I touched on one of the cornerstones of graphic design, and one of my specialties - logo design & branding.

I saw this article on Creative Bloq that listed some of the major events in graphic design over the last 25 years. Although I might not totally agree with their list, some of which is self-serving, it is important to look at the changes and important developments that have happened in the field.

 Creative Bloq:

In 1995, I had almost graduated high school, and was about to go to college for mechanical engineering. After 3 semesters, I switched majors to my main passion- art & graphic design.

Not much has fundamentally changed since I was a student. Obviously technology has advanced, but I still use a Mac computer, Adobe creative software is still the gold standard, & designing for print or web relies on the same basic principles.

The most significant thing that has changed is the proliferation of mobile devices, and the introduction of a wide variety of software and apps to make design more accessible.

What makes "good" or "bad" design is still subjective, but I think that allowing more people to express themselves creatively is always a good thing. I'm not worried about my job security as a professional designer, even if AI starts to encroach on my field!

The Monkey Buddha Archives:

No comments: