Thursday, May 07, 2015

Virtual Reality Arcades


I used to go to video game arcades sometimes when I was a kid. I didn't really enjoy them that much, though. I'd much rather play on a console at home & not have to keep feeding money into the machine.

This idea of a virtual reality theme park or arcade will be a new wave of public entertainment. It basically becomes a playground of the mind, with infinite possibilities.

There is still a lot of technology to develop to make this possible, like wireless VR headgear. However, I do think that this will happen eventually.




I often struggle with the value of digital or "virtual" experiences, versus "natural" experiences.

I'm not so sure there is any difference in the source of the stimuli, whether virtual or physical. It is all just information, translated into the conscious lightshow going on inside our heads.

All that seems to matter is that the mind wants to assimilate novel experiences. Virtual reality & digital art can add to the depth and variety of new information processed by the brain.

Ultimately, the distinction between 'real' and 'artificial' experience is an illusory one.

No comments: