Monday, February 10, 2020

The Flower of Life in "Assassin's Creed: Origins"

I am currently playing "Assassin's Creed: Origins" and it is a virtual journey through time that is taking me months, at the rate I play video games nowadays. Having played most of the other titles in the Assassin's Creed series, this one is just as amazing. Because I have so little time to spend gaming, I only choose titles that I know are going to be worth it.

All of the Assassin's Creed games take place in different time periods, and the level of research and immersion that goes into the stories and visuals just blows my mind. "Origins" takes place in Ptolemaic Egypt, right before the birth of Jesus.

I will give a full review & an album of my in-game snapshots once I finish the main story, but there was a cool tidbit I wanted to share now...

Back in college, I created a strategy game called "Da Vinci's Challenge" that is based on The Flower of Life, an ancient symbol that is part of a system called sacred geometry. This is the study of geometric and mathematical properties that have mystical or profound qualities that hint at the patterns defining reality.

The Monkey Buddha Archives:

"Da Vinci's Challenge™" & Flower of Life History


As I was playing Origins, I entered a bathhouse as part of a mission, and began to explore (as I find myself doing in every other part of the game). There were mosaic floors that were part of the intricately detailed decorations in the building. I was pleasantly surprised to see that a section of The Flower of Life pattern was used in the floors of the baths.



Then, I walked into a side chamber to see a more complete Flower of Life symbol, formed in the mosaic floor tiles:




The Flower of Life has been used as decoration throughout history, all around the world.

Flower of Life Artifacts


This kind of attention to detail is what makes these games so damn awesome, and so rewarding to experience.

Stay tuned for the full review! It might be a few months, but I'm sure I'll have plenty to rave about once I'm finished.

No comments: