Sunday, November 29, 2020

A.I. Literature


 Being a creative professional, I feel (& hope) that my graphic design skills aren't replaceable by computer algorithm in the near future. 

The Monkey Buddha Archives:
A.I. Logo Design

However, I see the various ways that artificial intelligence is increasingly being used to for creative applications and know that it is only a matter of time before there is serious competition from computer-driven solutions to literary and artistic endeavors.

Writing & literature is one area where A.I. is making noticeable progression. I came across this article that was composed using OpenAI language generator, in which a prompt is given & the computer creates text. In this case, the prompt was "Focus on why humans have nothing to fear from AI".

The Guardian:
A robot wrote this entire article. Are you scared yet, human?

 

After seeing this article, I then saw this website called Shortly, in which you start a story or essay and the A.I. generates more content.

www.shortlyread.com

I started a story about my son Paul Giuseppe, & the website produced a coherent and interesting continuation of the text. 

It was pretty amazing, actually, and offers a glimpse at the creative power that machine learning will contribute to culture. (I was about to write "..contribute to human culture", but I don't think culture is solely a product of the human mind anymore...)


No comments: