Tuesday, April 14, 2009

God in Mind

A few posts back as I wrote about "seeing God", I remembered a story about Michelangelo's painting of the Old Testament Deity... where he's shown as an old man being floated around by kids inside his cape.

A physician has claimed that the Renaissance master painted the figure of YHWH in the "Creation of Man" in the shape of a brain cross-section! Is this just another case of the mind's eye recognizing similar images?

Just the speculation of meaning behind it (if it was intentional) can fuel plenty of theological and philosophical discussion.


A while ago when I first read about this, I made an overlay of the painting over an X-ray & it's very similar:


After it popped back in my head, I also animated a sequence back & forth to compare the images. Because Blogger can't handle animated GIFs, I might have to link it through Myspace:


No comments: