Monday, April 23, 2012

Computer Animation 1971 & Today

Recently I've posted about the extraordinary vision of Steve Jobs & Arthur C. Clarke in regards to the development of computer tech.

As a graphic designer I'm interested in the history of art & computer graphics, in particular.  Studying the tools of the past helps me appreciate the current state of graphic art tech. The Macs I use now are finally on par with the speed and versatility that I feel is satisfactory for my creative work.

This video was posted on Neatorama... & made me glad to have my current version of Photoshop! It was produced by National Research Council of Canada in 1970.




It is a glimpse at the beginnings of digital art, which has continued evolving to increasingly mind-blowing levels.



Despite it's primitive appearance by today's standards, the idea of moving around points of light to create recognizable imagery was just as magical then as it is today.

The fact that nothing but a string of 1's & 0's, simple ying/yang binary elements, can be used to create entire virtual worlds never ceases to amaze me. 



No comments: